STAMINA OF A GASKETED BOLTED FLANGED PIPE JOINT UNDER DYNAMIC LOADING
AbstractGasketed bolted flange joints are the most critical components in pipelines for their sealing and strength under operating conditions. Most of the work available in literature is under static loading, whereas in industry, cyclic loads are applied due to the vibrating machinery such as motors, pumps, sloshing in offshore applications and in the ships etc. In this study a three dimensional finite element analysis of a gasketed joint is carried out using a spiral wound gasket under bolt up and dynamic operating conditions (internal pressure, axial and bending) singly and in combination. The cyclic axial loads are concluded relatively more challenging for both the sealing and strength of the joint. Higher magnitudes of loads and frequencies are also observed more challenging to the joints performance.
2. Abid, M. and Hussain, S. (2007), â€œBolt preload scatter and relaxation behavior during tightening a 4 in-900# flange joint with spiral wound gasketâ€, proc. IMech Vol.222 Part E: J. Process Mechanical Engineering, pp. 123 â€“ 134.
3. ANSYS Inc. (2011), â€œANSYS elements manualâ€, 13th edition.
4. American Society of Mechanical Engineering (1998), â€œASME Boiler and Pressure vessel Code Section VIII, Part D:â€ New York, USA.
5. ASME PCC-1-2000, â€œGuidelines for Pressure Boundary Bolted Flange Joint Assymblyâ€, An American National Standard.
6. Gaul, L. and Lenz, J. (1997), â€œNonlinear dynamics of structures assembled by bolted jointsâ€, Acta Mechanica 125 (1â€“4), pp. 169â€“181.
7. Ibrahim, R. A. and Pettit, C. L. (2005), â€œUncertainties and dynamic problems of bolted joints and other fastenersâ€, Journal of Sound and Vibration, pp. 857 â€“ 936.
8. Jalali, H. Ahmadian, H. and Mottershead, J. E. (2007), â€œIdentification of nonlinear bolted lap-joint parameters by force-state mappingâ€, International Journal of Solids and Structures, pp. 8087 â€“ 8105.
9. Khan, N. B. (2009), â€œStamina of Gasketed Pipe Flange Joint under Combined Loading: 3D FEA Studyâ€, MS thesis.
10. Lina, T. Lia, R. Long, H. and Ou, H. (2006), â€œThree-dimensional transient sealing analysis of the bolted flange connections of reactor pressure vesselâ€, Nuclear Engineering and Design, Volume 236, Issue 24, pp. 2599 â€“ 2607.
11. Luan, Y. Guan, Z. and Cheng G. (2010), â€œThe Study on Nonlinear Dynamic Behaviors of the Structures with Bolted-Flange Jointâ€, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 10
12. Miller, H. L. (2001), â€œPiping Vibration Involving Control Valvesâ€, International Joint Generation Conference and Exposition ASME International - Power Division.
13. Nagata, S. Shoji, Y. and Toshiyuki, S. (2002), â€œA Simplified Modeling Of Gasket Stress-Strain Curve For FEM Analysis In Bolted Flange Joint Designâ€, ASME International PVP Conference, BC Canada, pp. 53-58.
14. Ouyang, H. Oldfield, M.J. Mottershead, J.E. (2006), â€œExperimental and theoretical studies of a bolted joint excited by a torsional dynamic loadâ€, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, pp. 1447 â€“ 1455.
15. Semkea, W. H. Bibel, G. D. Jerath, S. Guravb, S. B. and Webster, A. L. (2006), â€œEfficient dynamic structural response modelling of bolted flange piping systemsâ€, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, pp. 767 â€“ 776.
16. Tanlak, N. Sonmez, F. and Talay, E. (2010), â€œDetailed and simplified models of bolted joints under impact loadingâ€, The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, pp. 213 â€“ 225.
17. Wilcoxon Research. Pump monitoring with Wilcoxon piezoelectric accelerometers, â€œhttp://www.wilcoxon.comâ€.