Socio-Demographic Factors and Quality of Life of Head and Neck Cancer Patients Before and After Treatment in the East Coast of Malaysia
Keywords:Socio-Demographic; Head and Neck Cancer; Quality of Life; Treatment
Objective: This study aimed to determine the association of socio-demographic factors and quality of life (QOL) of HNC survivors before and after treatment in Malaysia. Methods: 40 HNC patients were recruited, and assessed for their with QOL with Life Cancer Survivor (QLQ-CS) Head & Neck 35 (QLQ-H&N35) questionnaire pre-treatment and six months post-treatment. One way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and paired t-test were done to analyse the data. Results: The result shows that the QOL of HNC patients were at medium level (total mean score M= 6.22) before treatment, and reduced (total mean score M= 4.84) at 6 months after treatment) . Only health history was seen significantly associated with QOL of HNC patients, both pre and post-treatment. Post-treatment showed only marital status factor associated with QOL of HNC patients. The paired sample t-test result shows that the symptoms /problem pre-treatment (M = 255.10, SD = 20.405 )was lower than post-treatment (M = 201.80, SD = 22.025)(t (49) = 9.337; p =0.001). Conclusions: The present research suggested that the patientsâ€™ QOL is reduced after treatment (medium level). This could be due to the advancement of cancer and evidence when the health history and symptoms found significantly associated with the QOL. Thus, socio-demographic factors are very crucial factors that must be considered during patientsâ€™ assessment in improving patientsâ€™ care and optimum QOL pre and post-treatment.
2. Dow KH, Ferrell BR, Haberman MR, Eaton L. The meaning of quality of life in cancer survivorship. Oncol Nurs Forum. 1999 Apr;26(3):519â€”528.
3. de Graeff A, de Leeuw JR, Ros WJ, Hordijk GJ, Blijham GH, Winnubst JA. Sociodemographic factors and quality of life as prognostic indicators in head and neck cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2001;37(3):332â€“9.
4. Jansen F, van Uden-Kraan CF, van Zwieten V, Witte BI, Verdonck-de Leeuw IM. Cancer survivorsâ€™ perceived need for supportive care and their attitude towards self-management and eHealth. Support Care Cancer. 2015;23(6):1679â€“88.
5. Fang FM, Chiu HC, Kuo WR, Wang CJ, Leung SW, Chen HC, et al. Health-related quality of life for nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients with cancer-free survival after treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;53(4):959â€“68.
6. Å»mijewska-Tomczak M, Milecki P, Olek-Hrab K, Hojan K, GolusiÅ„ski W, RuciÅ„ska A, et al. Factors influencing quality of life in patients during radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Arch Med Sci. 2014 Dec;10(6):1153.
7. Department of Statistics Malaysia Official Portal. 2015.
8. Kim KU. Measurement of quality of life in patients with end-stage cancer. Cancer Nurs. 2013 Jan;
9. Bilal S, Doss JG, Cella D, Rogers SN. Quality of life associated factors in head and neck cancer patients in a developing country using the FACT-H&N. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg [Internet]. 2015;43(2):274â€“80. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2014.11.024
10. Soares A, Biasoli I, Scheliga A, Baptista RL, Brabo EP, Morais JC, et al. Association of social network and social support with health-related quality of life and fatigue in long-term survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21(8):2153â€“9.
11. Winnie K WSo, Choi KC, Chen JMT, Chan CWH, Chair SY, Fung OWM, et al. Quality of life in head and neck cancer survivors at 1 year after treatment: the mediating role of unmet supportive care needs. Support Care Cancer. 2014;2917â€“26.
12. Tazaki 12 ) M( 1, Kano K( 1 ), Miyaoka E( 1 ), Nakane Y( 2 ), Kuriyama K( 2 ), Endo T( 3 ), et al. Results of a Qualitative and Field Study Using the WHOQOL Instrument for Cancer Patients. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1998 Jan;28(2):134â€“41.
13. Rhoten BA, Murphy B, Ridner SH. Body image in patients with head and neck cancer: A review of the literature. Oral Oncol [Internet]. 2013;49(8):753â€“60. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.04.005
14. Abendstein H( 1 ), Nordgren M( 2 ), Jannert M( 2 ), Ahlner-Elmqvist M( 2 ), Boysen M( 3 ), Silander E( 4 ), et al. Quality of life and head and neck cancer: A 5 year prospective study. Laryngoscope. 2005 Dec;115(12):2183â€“92.
15. Nagy J, Braunitzer G, Antal M, Berkovits C, NovÃ¡k P, Nagy K. Quality of life in head and neck cancer patients after tumor therapy and subsequent rehabilitation: An exploratory study. Qual Life Res. 2014;23(1):135â€“43.
16. Ferrell BR, Hassey DK, Grant M. Instrument Titleâ€¯: Quality of Life Patient / Cancer Survivor Version Instrument Authorâ€¯: Cite instrument asâ€¯: Quality of Life Patient / Cancer Survivor Version ( QOL-CSV ) . Measurement Instrument Database for the Social Science . Retrieved from www.midss. 2012;
17. Chaukar D, Das A, Deshpande M, Pai P, Pathak K, Chaturvedi P, et al. Quality of life of head and neck cancer patient: Validation of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30 and European organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-H&N35 in Indian patients. Indian J Cancer VO - 42. 2005;(4).
18. Appelbaum FR, Gundacker H, Head DR, Slovak ML, Willman CL, Godwin JE, et al. Age and acute myeloid leukemia. Blood [Internet]. 2015;107(9):3481â€“6. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16455952%5Cnhttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=PMC1895766
19. Mattson M& JGH. Linking Health Communication with Social Support. Health as Communication Nexus. 2011. 181-218 p.
20. Cheng F, Wang W. Factors influencing comfort level in head and neck neoplasm patients receiving radiotherapy. Int J Nurs Sci [Internet]. 2014;1(4):394â€“9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnss.2014.10.009
21. Rogers SN, Scott B, Lowe D, Ozakinci G, Humphris GM. Fear of recurrence following head and neck cancer in the outpatient clinic. Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. 2010;267(12):1943â€“9.
22. Ghazali N( 1 ), Cadwallader E( 2 ), Lowe D( 3 ), Humphris G( 4 ), Ozakinci G( 4 ), Rogers SN( 5 ). Fear of recurrence among head and neck cancer survivors: Longitudinal trends. Psychooncology. 2013 Apr;22(4):807â€“13.
23. Koch L, Jansen L, Brenner H, Arndt V. Fear of recurrence and disease progression in long-term (â‰¥5 years) cancer survivors - A systematic review of quantitative studies. Psychooncology. 2013 Jan;22(1):1â€“11.
24. Dempster M( 1 ), McCorry NK( 1 ), Brennan E( 1 ), Donnelly M( 1 ), Murray LJ( 1 ), Johnston BT( 2 ). Do changes in illness perceptions predict changes in psychological distress among oesophageal cancer survivors? J Health Psychol. 2011 Apr;16(3):500â€“9.
25. Mazor KM, Beard RL, Alexander GL, Arora NK, Firneno C, Gaglio B, et al. Patientsâ€™ and family membersâ€™ views on patient-centered communication during cancer care. Psychooncology. 2013;22(11):2487â€“95.
26. Richardson A, Broadbent E, Morton RP. C Oping M Echanisms in P Atients. 2008;6(3):1â€“12.
27. Humphris GM, Ozakinci G. Psychological responses and support needs of patients following head and neck cancer. Int J Surg. 2006;4(1):37â€“44.