Stroke Patients' Adherence to Nurses' Advice and Their Quality of Life After Admittance to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan
Keywords:Adherence, Stroke, Quality of Life
Objective: The objective of this study is to identify stroke patientsâ€™ adherence toward nursesâ€™ advice and quality of life. Methodology: This was a cross-sectional study conducted at a medical ward in Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan, Pahang; it used the Quality of Life Index Stroke Version-III and Medical Outcome Study Measure of Patient Adherence. The data were collected using the purposive sampling method and were analysed using SPSS version 19. Results: A total of 54 respondents, ranging in age from 50 to 80 years old, (46.3% male and 53.7% female) with 94.4% being Malays. Returned surveys indicated that 50% of the respondents have no formal education. A total of 64.8% patients adhered to the nurssâ€™ advice and the remaining 35.2% were non-adherents. There is a positive correlation between adherence and the quality of life. Male patients demonstrated a better adherence level compared to women (p=0.019). However, there was no association between age, race and education level with adherence. Conclusion: Healthcare professionals, such as nurses, have substantial roles in ensuring stroke patients adhere to rehabilitation guidelines with a view to maximising quality of life.
2. MacDougall NJ, Amarasinghe S, Muir KW. Secondary prevention of stroke. Expert review of cardiovascular therapy. 2009 Sep;7(9):1103-15. PubMed PMID: 19764863.
3. Lawrence M, Fraser H, Woods C, McCall J. Secondary prevention of stroke and transient ischaemic attack. Nursing standard. 2011 Nov 2-8;26(9):41-6. PubMed PMID: 22165550.
4. Schmid AA, Andersen J, Kent T, Williams LS, Damush TM. Using intervention mapping to develop and adapt a secondary stroke prevention program in Veterans Health Administration medical centers. Implementation science : IS. 2010 Dec 15;5:97. PubMed PMID: 21159171. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3057184.
5. Ministry of Health M. Clinical Practice Guidelines 2012. Available from: www.moh.gov.my/penerbitan/CPG2017/8612.pdf.
6. Cameron V. Best practices for stroke patient and family education in the acute care setting: a literature review. Medsurg nursing : official journal of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses. 2013 Jan-Feb;22(1):51-5, 64. PubMed PMID: 23469500.
7. Aziz ZA, Lee YY, Ngah BA, Sidek NN, Looi I, Hanip MR, et al. Acute Stroke Registry Malaysia, 2010-2014: Results from the National Neurology Registry. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association. 2015 Dec;24(12):2701-9. PubMed PMID: 26338106.
8. Dayapoglu N, Tan M. Quality of life in stroke patients. Neurology India. 2010 Sep-
Oct;58(5):697-701. PubMed PMID: 21045490.
9. Baumann M, Lurbe K, Leandro ME, Chau N. Life satisfaction of two-year post-stroke survivors: effects of socio-economic factors, motor impairment, Newcastle stroke-specific quality of life measure and World Health Organization quality of life: bref of informal caregivers in Luxembourg and a rural area in Portugal. Cerebrovascular diseases. 2012;33(3):219-30. PubMed PMID: 22261643.
10. Franzen-Dahlin A, Laska AC. Gender differences in quality of life after stroke and TIA: a cross-sectional survey of out-patients. Journal of clinical nursing. 2012 Aug;21(15-16):2386-91. PubMed PMID: 22788569.
11. Chow SK, Wong FK, Poon CY. Coping and caring: support for family caregivers of stroke survivors. Journal of clinical nursing. 2007 Jul;16(7B):133-43. PubMed PMID: 17584422.
12. T.D. W. The effectiveness of perceived social support and adherence on activities of daily living performance (ADL) and functional outcomes in first time stroke survivors Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College; 2012.
13. Rohde D, Merriman NA, Doyle F, Bennett K, Williams D, Hickey A. Does cognitive impairment impact adherence? A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between cognitive impairment and medication non-adherence in stroke. PloS one. 2017;12(12):e0189339. PubMed PMID: 29220386. Pubmed Central PMCID: 5722379.
14. Carod-Artal FJ, Egido JA. Quality of life after stroke: the importance of a good recovery. Cerebrovascular diseases. 2009;27 Suppl 1:204-14. PubMed PMID: 19342853.
15. Basaraba JE, Picard M, George-Phillips K, Mysak T. Pharmacists as Care Providers for Stroke Patients: A Systematic Review. The Canadian journal of neurological sciences Le journal canadien des sciences neurologiques. 2017 Sep 20:1-7. PubMed PMID: 28929979.
16. Szymczyk I, Wojtyna E, Lukas W, Kepa J, Pawlikowska T. How does gender influence the recognition of cardiovascular risk and adherence to self-care recommendations?: A study in Polish primary care. BMC family practice. 2013 Nov 1;14:165. PubMed PMID: 24175983. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3818445.