ISSN 0128-4878 (Print)
ISSN 2289-5639 (Online)
The manuscript submitted to Intellectual Discourse should not have been published elsewhere, and should not be under consideration by other publication. This must be stated in the covering letter.
Publication fee: Publication fee is RM1500 (Ringgit Malaysia), in addition to RM20 as editing fee per page.
In-text: Al-Faruqi & al-Faruqi (1986)
Reference: Al-Faruqi, I. R. & al-Faruqi, L. L. (1986). The cultural atlas of Islam. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
Chapter in a Book
In-text: Alias (2009)
Reference: Alias, A. (2009). Human nature. In N. M. Noor (Ed.), Psychology from an Islamic perspective: A guide to teaching and learning (pp. 79-117). Kuala Lumpur: IIUM Press.
In-text: Chapra (2002)
Reference: Chapra, M. U. (2002). Islam and the international debt problem. Journal of Islamic Studies, 10, 214-32.
(i) direct quotation, write as 30:36
(ii) indirect quotation, write as Qur’ān, 30:36
Reference: The glorious Qur’an. Translation and commentary by A. Yusuf Ali (1977). US: American Trust Publications.
(i) Al-Bukhārī, 88: 204 (where 88 is the book number, 204 is the ḥadīth number)
(ii) Ibn Ḥanbal, vol. 1, p. 1
(i) Al-Bukhārī, Muhammad ibn Ismā‘īl (1981). Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr.
(ii) Ibn Ḥanbal, Aḥmad (1982). Musnad Aḥmad ibn Ḥanbal. Istanbul: Cagri Yayinlari.
In text: Matthew 12: 31-32
Reference: The new Oxford annotated Bible (2007). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Transliteration of Arabic words should follow the style indicated in ROTAS Transliteration Kit as detailed on its website (http://rotas.iium.edu.my/?Table_of_Transliteration), which is a slight modification of ALA-LC (Library of Congress and the American Library Association) transliteration scheme. Transliteration of Persian, Urdu, Turkish and other scripts should follow ALA-LC scheme.
The review process usually takes about three months. Procedures for reviewing manuscripts are based on the anonymity of the author and the confidentiality of readers’ and editors’ reports; hence, self-references should be removed. Manuscripts are refereed by the members of the editorial board and by other scholars at both IIUM and other institutions. Authors will normally receive a decision on their papers within 100 days of receipt. Papers can be provisionally accepted, and authors will be expected to revise the manuscripts on the recommendation of referees. The editorial board reserves the right to edit a manuscript to make it more readable. Contributions may also be submitted over e-mail at email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOOK REVIEW GUIDELINE
The book to be reviewed must be recent, published in the last three years, and must fall within the focus and scope of the Intellectual Discourse journal as stated at http://journals.iium.edu.my/intdiscourse/index.php/islam/index; http://journals.iium.edu.my/intdiscourse/index.php/islam/about/editorialPolicies#focusAndScope.
Book Review Components and Criteria for Publication
A book review is a brief critical assessment of the main arguments presented in a particular book. It should do the following:
1. Give full bibliographical information (title (edition, if any), author, place of publication, publisher, year of publication, number of pages, ISBN numbers) at the top of the page.
2. Provide sufficient context for the book under review and the existing literature the book builds upon or challenges.
3. Provide few sentence information about the author of the book.
4. Summarize the contents of the book by identifying the key arguments of the book. Care should be taken to avoid simply repeating or mirroring everything in the book.
5. Critical evaluation of the book should include:
- statement of the reviewer's understanding of the author's purpose
- how well the reviewer feels the author's purpose has been achieved
- evidence to support the reviewer's judgement of the author' achievement
- evaluation of the book’s supporting evidence
- the book’s strengths and weaknesses
- overall assessment
Style and Format Requirements
The book review should be between 1000 – 1500 words in length.
Previous book reviews can be found at http://journals.iium.edu.my/intdiscourse/index.php/islam/issue/archive
The review should be submitted to the Book Review Editor at email@example.com.